THE TRANSITION DECADE is a 10 year social and structural transition that enables the restoration of a safe climate.This is a short film which outlines the 'Transition' movements vision, and how it can be achieved in Australia.
HOW DOES THE CAMPAIGN WORK?
The Transition Decade presents a different approach that recognises the full scale, scope and speed of change necessary to match the climate emergency.
The Transition Decade creates a campaign platform and a shared timeline for action for the next ten years.
WHO IS THE CAMPAIGN FOR?
The Transition Decade has emerged from the Victorian sustainability movement and is reaching people all over Australia.
The Transition Decade aspires to mobilise whole communities through a communication and partnership strategy for individuals, community organisations, business and government in geographic localities. The campaign will link local, regional, national and international programs, campaigns and resources to help inform and activate citizens across Australia.
The Transition Decade is a non-partisan shared campaign which is coordinated by an alliance of groups. Groups guiding the campaign include: Friends of the Earth Australia, Beyond Zero Emissions, the Climate Emergency Network and the Sustainable Living Foundation.
WHERE DID THE IDEA COME FROM?
Many organisations are already advocating for and working in a ten year time frame. This reflects the growing urgency of the response required to combat climate change.
The Transition Decade integrates this work to strengthen resources and to connect movements that are influencing policy and local action.
The Transition Decade was inspired by many initiatives including:
- Lester Brown first promoted the idea of a transition decade in 1990. State of the World. (Worldwatch Institute). New York: W.W. Norton. (p. 174)
- Al Gore adopted a 10 year timeframe for the Repower America Renewables Program.
- Beyond Zero Emissions are developing the Zero Carbon Australia plan. Supported by the Climate Emergency Network
- Zero emissions by 2020 is policy for some Victorian local councils; City of Melbourne, Maribyrnong City Council, Moreland City Council, Darebin City Council, Central Victorian Greenhouse Alliance and the Western Alliance for Greenhouse Action.
- Australian climate action groups adopted 100% renewables by 2020 at the National Action Climate Summit in 2009.
- Australian Greens, The Greens' Safe Climate Bill
- Safe Climate theme adopted by Environment Victoria, and a growing number of climate action groups.
- State of the World Forum adopted a 10 year timeframe climate leadership program (2050 by 2020 campaign).
- Transition Town movement is spreading rapidly in Australia utilising the transition theme.
The Transition Decade acts as a platform to link these developments, fostering a much stronger collaboration.
HOW CAN I SUPPORT THE CAMPAIGN?
- Sign up to the campaign goals
- Promote the campaign to your networks
- Join a transition group or project
- Integrate the shared time frame work and actions
- Initiate your transition group or project
- Donate to help fund the campaign coordination